Shopware is a modular online shop software developed in Germany which is available as open source software as well as in commercial editions.
Shopware is not just a pure shop system, Shopware offers besides the general basic functions of an innovative shop solution also CMS functionalities and with Pickware also functions of a well thought-out merchandise management out of the box, as well as through several thousand extensions similar to WordPress the possibility to adapt the system to the needs of the user. With Version 6, which was introduced in May and follows an API first approach, not only was a completely new technological basis based on Symfony and Vue created, but also the headless approach can now be effectively implemented with the software.
The Community Edition was introduced at the end of 2010 and is a free, open source version of the software on the same technical basis as the paid editions. While the source code was disclosed in 2010, with the release of version 4 on August 28, 2012, the software was placed under the AGPL3 license.
For the free software, the manufacturer offers no warranty and no support or maintenance, but a Wiki and a forum are available. The Community Edition is not limited in its functionality and can manage any number of categories, articles and customers. An upgrade to the paid editions is possible. The Community Edition can be extended with free and paid plugins from the Community Store.
The Professional Edition is a commercial license. In addition to the basic functionalities of the Community Edition, it contains additional features such as storytelling, digital publishing and a separate ERP system. In addition, this edition entitles customers to a warranty and to manufacturer support and maintenance.
There are about 3,500 plug-ins for shopware, including administration, evaluations, languages, advertising and marketing as well as template and design. Furthermore, there are interfaces to almost all known payment service providers and various merchandise management systems. Shopware offers the possibility to create invoices and delivery notes yourself; however, functions such as purchasing or financial accounting are not integrated. Therefore interfaces to various ERP and merchandise management systems are offered. So there is nothing to stand in the way of all requirements. If a functionality is not yet available, I as a web developer can also develop an individual plugin for your shopware shop, tailored to your requirements.
Advantages of Shopware
- High flexibility, scalability and individual design for different target groups from SMEs to large companies, Shopware offers different versions for different needs and price ranges
- Extensive support is granted (from Professional Edition upwards)
- Uncomplicated creation not only of landing pages, but of entire worlds of experience and themes
- No programming knowledge is required to set up and operate the system
- Backend can be operated easily and intuitively
- The shop system is browser-based
- A wide range of functions and templates
Disadvantages of Shopware
- Some important functions only available in paid plugins
- Special server or web hosting required
- Partially high costs due to premium plugins
- Special technical knowledge required for the installation of shopware
Pickware is a powerful complete merchandise management solution especially for your shopware online shop. Pickware is integrated directly into the Shopware and is free of charge in the basic version.